Heterochromia refers to a difference in coloration, usually of the iris but also of hair or skin. Heterochromia is a result of the relative excess or lack of melanin (a pigment). It may be inherited, due to genetic mosaicism, or due to disease or injury.
Eye color, specifically the color of the irises, is determined primarily by the concentration and distribution of melanin. The affected eye may be hyperpigmented (hyperchromic) or hypopigmented (hypochromic). In humans, usually, an excess of melanin indicates hyperplasia of the iris tissues, whereas a lack of melanin indicates hypoplasia.
Heterochromia of the eye (heterochromia iridis or heterochromia iridum) is of two kinds:
- In complete heterochromia, one iris is a different color from the other.
- In partial heterochromia or sectoral heterochromia, part of one iris is a different color from its remainder.
Though I personally don`t have heterochromia, I`m very interested in this anomaly, knowing a lot of people with this abnormality.
Actually, many hollywood actors/actresses have it though it`s not always noticeable, due to the partial heterchromia. Here are some celebrities who have both partial & complete heterochromia:
- Kate Bosworth – Right eye partial brown/blue, Left eye blue
- Jane Seymour – Right eye partial brown/green, Left eye green
- Mila Kunis – Left eye hazel, Right eye green
- Demi Moore: Right eye hazel, Left eye green
- Alice Eve : Right eye green, Left eye blue
- Elizabeth Berkley: Right eye partial brown/green, Left eye green
- Jessica Cauffiel: Left eye partial brown/green, Right eye green
- Idina Menzel: sectoral heterochromia
- Henry Cavill : Left eye partial brown/blue, Right eye blue
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers : Left eye partial hazel/blue, Right eye blue
- Josh Henderson : Left eye green, Right eye blue
- Keifer Sutherland : sectoral heterochromia (both eyes partial green/blue)
- Benedict Cumberbatch: sectoral heterochromia
- Marshall Lancaster : sectoral heterochromia (right eye hazel/blue, left eye blue)
- Simon Pegg : sectoral heterochromia (both eyes partial brown/blue)
- Christopher Walken : partial heterochromia (both blue with green inner rings)
- Dan Aykroyd: complete heterochromia (right eye green, left eye brown)
- Joe Pesci: partial heterochromia (both eyes partial blue/brown)
- David Bowie: he was born with blueish eyes. In 1962, he got into a fight with his longtime school friend George Underwood (over George’s girlfriend), and a punch from Underwood damaged Bowie’s left eye. His pupil was paralyzed, becoming unable to dilate or contract according to the ambient light. As a result, Bowie’s left eye now appears to be a different colour to his right eye, appearing either brown or green depending on the ambient light.
*Update: Not only Bowie’s unique eyes deserve to be mentioned on this post. As a big fan who has always been inspired by his eccentric genius and followed his career as an etalon of greatness, I will remember him always as the amazing artist that he was and for the gentle soul he was blessed with. He deserves all the recognition and love for the work and artistic legacy he left behind, changing the face of music forever.
Rest in Peace David Robert Jones and have a safe trip to the outer space where you came from to bless us with your beautiful mind and talent!
My condolences to the family!